Wednesday, January 20, 2010

a new year - going big

In front of the 'peeing boy' statue in Brussels

Moien, moien!

I not quite sure how many readers I have out there in cyberspace, but a few people suggested gently that maybe it was time to update this sucker and finally let people know what was going on in my Luxembourgish life.

My last post, nearly five months ago, was just before my first group of students arrived. I was so nervous, so curious to see how the semester would shape up.

It was the perfect blend of chaos and growth. I thought a lot about lovingly serving people, and how sometimes it's hard to do (and sometimes so so easy!). But that it is what makes your life more positive and fulfilling. This year, more than last, I have had to work harder towards understanding cultural differences in the workplace. There were days of frustration, but now that I have a semester under my belt, those days are fewer and more joy-filled.

Now it is a new year, a new semester, and a new group of students. They are different from last semester, but equally as excited to be here. Sometimes I feel like this job parallels with parenting - lots of questions, there are times you need to discipline, times you need to give tough love, times you get to celebrate, and of course, each group has a new personality.

Last night I told someone that 2009 was a big year for me - two moves (out of France, into Luxembourg), the death of my poppa, and the birth of new relationships. In the words of my dear friends it was definitely 'make it count '09!'

This year the motto is '2010: go big or go home!' On the docket?

1. helping out with study tours to Florence and Amsterdam
2. a lovely visit from the La Rochelle gang and road tripping around BeNeLux
3. visiting miss Marissa in Kazakhstan in March!!
4. a lovely Lake Erie summer
5. a few weddings :)

And of course, a huge resolution is to be more conscious of keeping the people I care about in the loop about my life - I promise I won't disappear on you this time around!

1 comment: