Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life as a Rochelaise means:

 Loosing myself in old books, and old nautical maps...


...discovering washed up jelly fish on the shore...

...listening to the ocean...

...hanging out at the old port...

...photo shoots in St. Nicole quatier...

...spending time with these two love birds...

...mucking for oysters with...

...our new dog friend!

Rummaging through flea markets on Ile de Re (photo courtesy of Lee)...

...and climbing the church tower to check out beautiful St. Martin de Re.

La Rochelle will always be a special place. It was where I learned how to live abroad, alone. It was where I was challenged in so many ways, and discovered so much - not just about Europe, but about myself. The people I met in that little sea-side town truly became my family. And I learned how to become a Rochelaise in those seven months.

This marked one of the last times (at least for a while) that I would be in La Rochelle. Life moves on, people move on, and next year, it will become a place of discovery for a new group of Americans.

On my last morning in town, I ate my croissant and sipped my coffee, looking at the iconic towers in the old port. It might have been the combination of the salty sea air, the familiar taste of the buttery pastry, and the quiet of the early morning, but for a moment, I felt the city stand still. For that one moment, it was mine. My little piece of the world that I had conquered, and loved.

2 comments:

Lux Lady... said...

Maybe we can do a little revisit to Rochelle when you're back next year. I've seen it now through your eyes and would love to see it in real life with a native.

Don't forget to blog about the U.S. this summer, some of us miss it at times...

Carrie Engelbrecht said...

It is a charming little place. Brought back such memories for me. Loved seeing the map store and Laura and Lee!