Monday, February 1, 2010

The Expat Book Club

Any American living in a non-English speaking country will understand me when I say 'English literature is like crack.'

You love it, you need it, and once you get your fix, you can't stop. Soon you find yourself talking to anyone who speaks English to see if they have a spare book to throw your way. And if you do happen to find an English bookstore (I'm looking at you William Shakespear & co.), well, there goes your paycheck.

Luckily, I brought the big suitcase back to the States over the holidays. I was able to import what seemed to be an entire bookcase load of books over to Luxembourg to sustain me.

Currently on the docket? Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingslover


I'm about 50 pages in, but I'm liking this book for a couple of reasons:

1. I love food, food culture, cooking, etc. This book is essentially about a family growing fresh produce, and eating flavorful (seasonal) whole foods.

2. There are recipes included. sold.

3. It's educational. And yes, I miss learning dearly. For the time being, this book is filling that void.

4. It reminds me of those days in New Mexico, trying to coerce the lettuce to grow at high altitude. When I read this book I find myself back on the ranch, knee high in sunflowers, chasing cows out of the pasture...

3 comments:

K. said...

I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last year and loved it! I liked that it was filled with laugh-out-loud funny moments and I really admire what she and her family were doing. Enjoy finishing the book! It's great!

Anonymous said...

I love Barbara Kingsolver....I listened to it on tape..but then got the book to see the recipes...
the year experiment was so page turning...and of course the Italian interlude lovely...
glad to Girl with the dragon tatoo and The Bolter and a lovely little book by Florida Scott Maxwell named
The Measure of My Days...it is a good old lady book...
digging out from snow....brrr grrr.
Mrs. H

Anonymous said...

mmmm...my message did not quite come out the way I expected...
glad you have some books and here is what I am currently reading
should be shoved in the middle of my comment...
then it makes more sense....
Mrs. H