Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Expat Book Club

One of the many perks of this job is that I get to pretend that I'm still in school. I love being in a community of learning! Each semester I wonder what would happen if I just audited 17 hours worth of courses, but alas, I do have a job to do and students to help.

This doesn't mean, however, that I can't shamelessly steal the reading list and experience at least a little bit of the classes. And that is how I found this most recent book. Lent to me by a student last semester (and never returned...oops!), this book was used for an anthropology course that looked at humans and the holocaust - not just from an historical perspective but from a psychological one - and attempted to answer a lot of really hard questions. The one this book deals with is forgiveness. 

Written by a holocaust survivor, the question is posed 'If you were one persecuted by the Nazi regime, would you be able to forgive them?'

Powerful powerful stuff.

No comments: