Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Expat Book Club

A friend gave me this book for Christmas, and really, I can't think of a better way for it to have fallen into my lap. This is simply because this book is all about sharing literature and the friendship and fellowship that blossoms as a result.

Another reason why this book tugged at my heartstrings is because the central story is about a group of people who find comfort in reading during an unspeakably hard time. I cannot profess to know even one smidge of what these people where going through (we're talking hard-heavy-horrible WWII German occupation stuff), but I can relate to loosing oneself in a good book. And the wonderful comfort that it brings.


"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them into their perfect readers."

1 comment:

Carrie Engelbrecht said...

Bring it home. I want to read it!